Re: [NTLK] Wifi card

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 13:36:56 PDT

>From: Caretech_at_rogers.com <Caretech_at_rogers.com>
>
>Would anyone know of a good source for WIFI card and is the Orinoco
>GOld the one to go with.

802.11b Gold or Silver should be fine, the only difference is better
encryption on the gold but WEP is breakable anyway so I'm not sure it
matters much.

You need a 5V card, you cannot use a cardbus 802.11b or any of the
802.11b/g/a combo cards (since those are all 3.3V and/or cardbus). So be
careful, just getting a "gold" card can result in one that is incompatible
(at this time 3.3V will potentially kill the card and Newton both, cardbus
just won't work).

Try www.cdw.com, keyword search for "Orinoco PCMCIA" and some of the cards
that come up look like the older 16bit 5V cards. Some are clearly 3.3V
and/or cardbus and thus are to be avoided. You can call and check before
ordering (I would).

You might be able to get a little better price if you are a student, using
www.cdwg.com.

HTH.

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html