Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Who else? Newtons and SF bike police

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 21:02:50 PDT

Add in the US Navy (they were working on a wireless
Newt to use in Subs...had a problem with multi-path on
the wireless part) A coworker recognized my MP2000 and
commented that he was a part of this program and told
me all the cool things that they were doing with these
Newts
Also Add Mitre. They had a pilot program in creating a
mobile office idea with Newts. The idea was all the
Newts would be wireless and connect to a new Siemens
phone that accepted a MP2000 which changed the
"personality" of the phone to reflect the owner of the
Newt once the Newt was inserted. The wireless Newts
would also allow the owner to identify other employees
and their location in the building by quering the
names app for the where-abouts of the individual. A
map of the particular floor with a blinking "X" showed
where the individual's Newt (and since it was a
(P)ersonal DA) the person you were looking for. This
was fully functional using the MP120 and 130. They
began using the MP2000 and a then un-released Siemens
phone docking station. (I've never seen this phone
since I toured their building in Reston VA back in
1996 and again in 1997) Mitre (like everyone else)
abandoned the Newt for two reasons. Apple refused to
honor bulk delivery (and bulk pricing) on any of their
Newtons...and Jobs made the decision even more easier
by abandoning the Newton.
I also believe that a race track used Newtons, I think
it was the Indy 500 to maintain lap information on all
the cars?
I know that the US highway began using Newts for
in-vehicle telemetry to send via ARDIS radio packet,
information gathered from a bunch of sensors located
through out a test car running on a test track in
McLean VA. They also abandoned the Newt when Apple
wouldn't honor bulk shippment of Newts to number in
the thousands per month over a 5 month period.
The Newton was also used by the Smithsonian for one of
their museums as guides...I can't remember which one.
And I can't remember...it was either Wynd or DTS that
offered a wireless email system to lease, that
included a Newton using a Motorola ARDIS packet radio
(the radio was bigger than the Newt). This came in a
leather zippered case with the Newt on one side and
the modem on the other connected with a serial cable
(this was a 120 if I remember correctly) The company I
was working for took over this program and I later
modified this package by replacing the Motorola ARDIS
modem with the smaller AllPoints card using ZapIT and
a modified version of the Wynd wireless mailer
application. I used the extra space in the leather
case for a keyboard. My company had dozens of these
packages and we rented them all over the world. One
kit accompanied a bunch of explorers to one of the
poles...It was the one where one of the explorers had
to be airlifted becuase of an illness. This Newton
served as a data device to collect data and then
transmit it via satelite using a Comsat, Planet one
satelite phone.
We also had a package that the USGS used. This Newton
would measure the movement of old lava fields by
beaming the infrared to a mounted reflector which
would bounce the beam back to the Newt. The time was
measured to indicate the distance and if the distance
increased, it would send an email to the scientists
for tracking and logging. This also used a photo-cell
to keep the batteries charged. One particularly
spectacular event occured in Peru where an entire
cliff-side gave way and the only warning they got was
that the Newt registered a massive shift. The
scientists knew that there was no way that the Newt
could be wrong, so that could only mean a massive
landslide that offered some remote families valuable
seconds before their houses were entombed by ancient
lava. The Newt was lost and we were reimbursed for the
unit...
I've got hundreds (ok, well, maybe dozens) of stories
of businesses attempting to use the Newt in a viable
manner. The company I worked for had rental agreements
with Apple (and later on with HP) to rent handheld
devices configured as a wireless data device.

Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- "E. Male" <mrramsay_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Add the US Army..
>
> "Gregory J. Wayman" <gwayman_at_mac.com> wrote onTue,
> 08 Jul 2003 15:55:33
> -0700
>
> >For History sake....Has a list of professional
> users of the past ever been
> >compiled? Example:
> >1) United Parcel Service
> >2) Merck Chemical
> >3) Disneyland
> >4) S.F.P.D.

=====
"Liberals don't care about the environment. The core of environmentalism is a hatred for mankind. They want mass infanticide, zero population growth, reduced standards of living and vegetarianism. Most crucially, they want Americans to stop with their infernal deodorant use. "
 - Anne Coulter Op Ed piece on Global Warming