Re: [NTLK] developing on Newton

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 03:48:03 PDT

> From: samuel desseaux <sdesseaux_at_free.fr>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] developing on Newton
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:05:05 +0200
>
> No but, you should see how they do with the zaurus. The zaurus, the famous
> pda on linux, has the same style of package (it is like familiar linux,on
> pocket pc). Nevertheless, you will have maybe some differences (idon't know
> which).
>
> Your question interests me because i've newton and zaurus at home. I should
> have a look at that.
> From: samuel desseaux <sdesseaux_at_free.fr>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] developing on Newton
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:05:05 +0200
>
> No but, you should see how they do with the zaurus. The zaurus, the famous
> pda on linux, has the same style of package (it is like familiar linux,on
> pocket pc). Nevertheless, you will have maybe some differences (idon't know
> which).
>
> Your question interests me because i've newton and zaurus at home. I should
> have a look at that.

the Zaurus .ipkg is a tar/gzip file containing directories of executables
and resources. quite different from a Newton .pkg

most developers use either Qtopia or Java on desktop to edit&compile source
and emulate Zaurus for run/debug. (though there are some on-Zaurus
development options, as with the Newton (NSBasic and NewtDevEnv)).

I've been using Java -- so same apps run on Zaurus, iPaq, Windows, Mac.
(unfortunately Waba on Newton isn't complete enough)

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com