Re: [NTLK] Upgrading MP2K flash store

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 12:53:48 PDT

Il me semble que le 6/07/03 à 11:32 -0500, Jim Witte nous racontait:
> Would it be possible to upgrade the internal flash store in the MP2K
>with higher capacity chips? The DRAM is limited by the width of the
>address bus, but the flash has a virtual range of something like 4 GB,
>doesn't it?

You can extend flash with a special ROM Board, this is planned by
NewtonOS. There are some EVT/DVT units out there with 4 or 8 MB of
Flash on the ROM Board in addition to the 8 MB of ROM (sometimes it's
Flash as well) for NewtonOS. These units have hence a total of 8 or
12 MB of flash for the Internal store.

If one was in the ROM Board industry, one could probably try to put
more DRAM for use directly on the ROM Board by adding a ROM Extension
to declare the additonal DRAM.

However, the motherboard won't accept more than 4 MB. The chips are
on a bus where there is no additional address line.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/