[NTLK] New to Newtons

From: Trish Benedict (kundry_at_pacific.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 17:17:08 PDT

Hi

I recently bought my first Newton after seeing a group of folks, including
Adam Tow, playing with theirs at SF MacWorld.

I bought a 2100 off eBay and I've been fiddling with it and getting somewhat
familiar with how things work (I must say that I'm impressed with what it
was capable of doing waayyy before Palm came along and it's already gotten
quite good at recognizing my bad handwriting!)

But it didn't come with any documentation and only basic programs. What it
did come with is a Hayes Optima 33.6 Modem card and a functioning battery
and A/C adapter. We have an HP LaserJet 6MP with an IR port, and I was able
to get it to print the first day, using the built-in 5MP setting. And I have
been able to send myself faxes, both to and from the Newton. So the card and
the IR work. I bought a Bondi iMac which died an hour after I got it home,
but I did have time to try to communicate betw that and the Newt via IrDA -
but was unsuccessful. (Tho it would appear from your FAQ that NOS 2.x can't
communicate with a Mac via IrDA??)

I was hoping to be able to take it on vacation with me and use it for email,
but I can't figure out how to load programs into it. I bought a Newton
Connection for Mac off eBay, but it turns out that I need the adapter for
the 2000/2100s. And the software that came with it crashes my Mac.

I've tried to communicate via modems with AppleTalk, but I'm just not sure
how to set up my desktop to do that (I'm running OS 9.1 and the basic,
built-in GV 56k modem). I've tried opening File Sharing and making Newton a
new user and I've set AppleTalk for modem, but haven't figured out what to
do with the TCP/IP settings - if anything.

I've spend days trying to muddle thru what seems to me should be a simple
thing. I've reasoned that since Macs have been able to communicate with each
other via Local/Talk networks and AppleTalk since the Dawn of 1984 (or
thereabouts), it would stand to reason that there should be a simple way to
wire together my Newton and my desktop G3 via their modems and AppleTalk.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'd really like to get some programs beyond
the basics loaded into my Newton and start actually using it, not just
playing with it.

Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for that serial dongle ? There's one
on eBay for $40-50, which strikes me as nuts.

Thanks for your help!

Trish Benedict
kundry_at_pacific.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html