[NTLK] Installing Programs

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 12:25:12 PDT

>I can't install programs on my Newton. I looked through my manual and
there
>are no step by step instructions that I could find. The install
instructions
>on the software don't seem to work. I get a 'communication port
unavailable'
>message. Could someone direct me to a set of step by step instructions
with
>trouble shooting tips? I'm using a Newton 120 and Mac. I have been able
>connect with NCU, but not install anything.

If your Newton is a 120 with 1.3 OS, you can't use NCU (Newton
Connection
Utilities). You will have to use NCK (Newton Connection Kit) which, as
pretty much everything for the Newton, is available at www.unna.org.
I'm not sure about OS X, but for systems up to Mac OS 9 you need the
Apple Modem Tool and the AppleTalk ADSP Tool in your Mac's Extensions
folder. If you are using OS X, why not try booting the Mac in Classic
mode and check if the extensions are there?

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html