[NTLK] Emate ribbon repair success!

From: Andrew Shooner (shooner.3_at_osu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 15:09:40 PST

Howdy, first time post

I just tried my hand (first time!) at soldering to repair my emate
display ribbon, and it looks like a success! I haven't re-assembled 'er
yet, but My screen is nice and full again, with total response. I used
a method much like on the inventors emporium site. I used paper to
expose 1 trace at a time, and exposed them at different spots to avoid
my messy soldering jumping them. Then I used simple insulated wire to
go around the break (i had 3 traces busted). I'll update if I run in to
trouble, But with the website as a basis, 9 bucks at radioshack and
some patience, I've got my emate back!

I am encountering an apparently unrelated issue, though. When i turn
the power off (or close it) it will only power up again once, then I
need to hit the reset button to get it going. Anyone know what this
might be? is this terminal? Thanks.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html