Re: [NTLK] Lantern, Get_Card_Info.pkg & IBM Ethernet Credit CardII

From: David Holmes (dh_ntlk_at_delphys.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 23:13:51 PST

Thanks for the reply Paul,

I think you've hit on what has me confused. Am I correct
in assuming that in the case of a "good" ethernet card the
"system" recognizes the card as being "ethernet" and hands
it over to "Newton Devices.pkg" (card handler?) which in
turn starts a Lantern task who finds the correct Lantern
data link layer driver?

And, if that sounds reasonable, is the "system" then this
"CardServer" I read about in the PCMCIA DDK?

My impression was that the Lantern driver (i.e. the only
part one would normally have to write) is just the card-
specific things like registers etc. and a "static"
declaration of productname (CIS/ID) which is used to register
the driver so it can be found by the "system."

One question about what I did to GetCardInfo - does it make
sense to you that I could just copy the code from your
RecognizeCard() block into the ParseUnrecognizedCard() ?
I did not write any parsing code (such as is shown in the
Modem example in the PCMCIA DDK) myself...

I knew it was going to be fun when I tried Hammer... other
cards would cause their CIS/ID string to be sent to the
stdio window - but not the IBM card. I still need to
get to know Hammer more thoroughly. I am quite sure you
are very correct about needing it for this.

Merci encore,
--david

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html