[NTLK] Lantern, Get_Card_Info.pkg & IBM Ethernet Credit Card II

From: dh_ntlk_at_delphys.net
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 21:39:40 PST

greetings,

Looking for some help from anyone who has worked with the
Lantern DDK and perhaps the PCMCIA DDK. A couple of
questions are below.

I'd like to create a driver for this ethernet card:

IBM Ethernet Credit Card Adapter II (part number: 42H4316)

When I insert the card I get the following:

  "There is a problem with this
   card. (This memory card
   could not be formatted.
   (This memory card is write
   protected.))"

I then read about Paul Guyot's "Get Card Info.pkg" and tried
that. It never sees the card at all. Like the PCMCIA DDK
modem example, Paul's code has the RecognizeCard() and the
ParseUnrecognizedCard(). He'd left the latter empty so I
thot, what the heck, and copied the text-collection code from
his RecognizeCard() into ParseUnrecognizedCard() and now
"Get Card Info.pkg" can see this card that way (which seems
marginally counter-intuitive as i made no other additions.)

Basically I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing about
getting the system to recognize a card - i.e. what needs
to be in the driver code that matches the pkg to a card.

questions:

a) what are the implications of the above - the
   error about it being a memory card and the
   need to ParseUnrecognizedCard() in Paul's pkg?
   - am I needing another component in addition
   to the driver to get the card recognized?

b) I'm not clear on how the CIS info is mapped to
   finding the right driver package. (do the
   "Project Data" file's constants play any part
   in this? ) (or put another way, what is the
   minimum required to get a card even recognized
   forgetting about actually working for a moment.)

c) is there a definitive explanation anywhere of
   the what each of the NIE2.0 pkgs does and why
   for at least one of the ethernet drivers out
   there someone wrote a replacement "Newton Devices"?

Thank-you for any help and thanks to Paul for making his pkg
and source available,
--david

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html