Re: [NTLK] FTP into UNNA?

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 09:23:21 PST

Eric wrote:
> Actually, I've found the 'man' pages quite helpful -- IF you=20
> know what command you need! If you don't know the name of=20
> the command that you need to learn about, then 'man' is=20
> (obviously) useless. Admittedly, the last time I did Unix=20
> was on a Silly-G about 5 years ago, so maybe documentation=20
> has advanced, but I always thought 'man' needed a good topical index.

        That's what the "apropos" command is for. If you want to find
out something about (say) any coffee-related commands, you'd run
"apropos coffee", and it would come back with a list of man pages that
deal with coffee. Granted, it doesn't do any sort of analysis to figure
out what is more or less topical...

Jim Anderson

Spreading FUD since October 31, 1999...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html