[NTLK] Import/export data containing CR

From: David Busey (im-wired_at_attbi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 23:01:17 PST

Here's a tidy little puzzle for ya'

You're importing ASCII data into your newt's Names app (or even a File Pad
database or whatever). Now you get to the field for NOTES which contains
carriage returns.

The delimiter rules say that a TAB separates each field and a RETURN
indicates the end of a record.

That being the preferences that are set; how does one deal with large,
free-form text field (i.e. NOTES:) that contains returns for the sake of
on-screen readability. At best, I'd only get the first line and also that
throws off where the true start of the next record begins.

Suppose the first field of the record is 'First Name': Instead of that being
populated with appropriate data from that field in the source file, it gets
filled in with the 2nd line of free-form text from the notes field of the
previous record. Aaargh!!

I can't be the only one to have encountered this. I'm hoping one of you
bright and creative souls out there have an idea or two for me.

Much-O Thank-O ; ~ )

--
David Busey
Beaverton, OR