Re: [NTLK] Best way to fix jaggies?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 01:48:13 EST

on 26/01/03 01:28, Karl and Kathleen Prihoda at kapri_at_cfl.rr.com wrote:

> What is the BEST way to fix the jaggies, for good? Do I need to buy a
> new screen? I think that my problem is beyond the simple hard reset,
> air blowing, business card sweep, or ribbon cleaning. I hope that this
> Newt is not totally useless. It is my first venture in the world of
> the Newton, and it has been a disaster! I learned a lesson about
> buying off of eBay I guess.

It seems that the best way to fix them is to open your Newton and then clean
the contacts between the ribbon cable and the motherboard. There is nothing
to securely hold the cable to the motherboard, just the pressure of the
screen above when the 2 parts of the case are held together. After sometime,
the contacts can become dirty and thus not transmitting the touch screen
information properly to the motherboard, resulting in the "jaggies". Warping
the case or bending it slightly can sometimes force the contacts to move
slightly and clean themselves a bit, but that usually doesn't hold for long.
You have to clean them yourself and maybe use some kind of electronic
cleaners. Sorry I don't have any name right now, but others might chime in
(Ed?) or you might want to look in the NewtonTalk archive.

-Laurent.

copy protection n.: A class of methods for preventing incompetent pirates from stealing software and legitimate customers from using it. Considered silly.