Re: [NTLK] npi under osx

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 11:46:49 EST

on 25/01/03 09:56, edwardmccaughan at madscientist_at_macunlimited.net wrote:

> how do you install packages onto the newton over ethernet and osX?
> i have managed it using 7.5 so its not the ethernet setup or he newton
> side.
> newten doesnt appear to support ethernet so i am trying to use npi with
> classic, but appletalk is disabled. a few weeks ago someone posted that
> osX disabled it when it was not in use and you had to do something to
> get it back on again and use either npi or newtsync or something. i
> cant find this post in the archives so if someone could tell me it
> would be much appreciated.
> currently i have to use an lc3 as a port replicator for my imac, which
> is getting quite annoying as for some reason the lc3 always resets to
> serial from ethernet the second time i turn it on after changing it.
>
> altough, now with ethernet, i can go into school and start driving the
> (more than a little pc biased) technician insane trying to get on the
> shared internet connection :-)

Check your settings. Reboot in 9 and make sure that AppleTalk is enabled for
all your locations, in the Location Manager. I'm using NCU under Classic to
backup and install packages on my PowerBook G3 running 10.2.3 and I have
absolutely *NO* problem with AppleTalk being disabled.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer. Compare dead link.