Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie; A Few Questions

From: James Elliott (james.elliott_at_newted.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 18:21:55 EST

<snip>
>First, what is the best notetaking/outlining program, if one exists? I tend
>to take paper notes in outline form, but I would be open to alternatives when
>using the Newton.

I've done well with just the built-in notes app.

>Additionally, do programs exist to allow the notetaking of calculus symbols,
>such as the integral, sigma, or exponential glyphs?
>
>Second, I'm going to need a dongle/USB<->Serial adapter, or a NIC. Which
>connection solution is reccomended by the readers of this list? If forced
>to choose between the two, which one would you pick?

An ethernet card would be the faster and wouldn't require any
adaptors. The only problem is that you've to install the drivers
before you use the card. BUT, if you've a friend with a Newt, that
shouldn't be a problem for you.

>Third, I may need to replace/repair the battery. I've been reading on the
>list about AA battery compartments. Is this the best solution? Or is an
>actual battery pack preferable? Which lasts longer? Which is cheaper?

I prefer the convenience of a battery pack, as I can just plug it in
and recharge it. With a battery cage, you can't recharge the
batteries unless you modify the cage. Frank Gruendel has
instructions on his site (http://www.pda-soft.de)

>As I understand it, ATA cards work with a driver. Am I correct?

Yes. You can download it here: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/?lg=en

-James

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html