[NTLK] FMC -File Maker Companion

From: im-wired_at_attbi.com
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 17:16:15 EST

Oooh! Ahhh! I'm a big Filemaker Pro enthusiast so this caught my eye when I
was bored and browsing UNNA last night.

I have no idea even exactly what it does but it seemed the only way to find
out was to install it and read it's only Help file which is in .pkg form.

The install of the 3 packages went fine but when i try to launch, I get an
error dialogue saying...

           " Sorry, a problem has occurred.
             -48400 "

I close the error dialogue to reveal what appears to be the splash screen for
File Maker Companion with a nice looking FMP-like logo with a picture of a
file drawer but nothing more happens: There are no buttons, menus or anything
to interact with/tap on. In fact, no way to even close the dern thing! It
seems to assume the role of the backdrop since I can launch other apps via the
button bar (and close em' successfully too).

At the bottom of the nice logo for FMC it says,

           "This d51 version expires on 13/20/1997."

To get back to MY specified backdrop app and make the frozen FMC splash screen
go away, a reset is required.

Q. Anyone out there in Newtonland use this?
Q. What does it do?
Q. Is there an un-expired version I can download from somewhere?
Q. Is this what's causing the error?

TIA,
David B.
Beaverton, Oregon