Re: [NTLK] Copyrighted books

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 12:15:38 PST

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 11:23 Hi!, Donald Wilson wrote:

> Actually, the process followed would, in a court, put the weight on the
> copyright holders.
>
> Those holding copyright are required to equally enforce the copyright,
> or forfeit.
>
> While distribution of the NewtonBooks is still illegal, the publichers
> have been legally informed of the intent of action via mail,
No, this isn't right...

Unless Ed told them he was GOING TO MAKE NEWTON BOOKS, which I doubt,
his REQUEST for permission is just that a request.

Unless they respond in a positive fashion, the copyright remains in
force, and they have no need to respond to him for this to be true.,,

Now if he sent them registered mail saying he had already reproduced
and was distributing copies, they would in fact NEED to come after him
to maintain there copyrights...

Clearly this reproduction is illegal and Ed is open to remedies... but
if everyone that download/reads the LOTR in NB format also has a paper
copy then it would be hard to prove damages...

Marty

PS I think we could make our own book from the copyright discussions
that occur on this list over the years...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html