[NTLK] wireless newton

From: Paul Miller (pauljosephmiller_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 18:51:58 EST

Hi All,

Okay I'm late to the wireless party and slower with
the direction than everyone else so I need help! (By
the way I tried as many related web sites and the FAQ
list before coming to the conclussion to invite a
thorough re-hashing on the list...sorry to those of
you that don't need need to/want to go over this stuff
again.)

I have a MP2100, a Farallon(now Proxin) Skyline 11mbs
802.11b pcmcia card (for the Newt), iBook in OSX or
Classic 9.2, Airport 2.0(snow version) hooked up to an
RCA modem for Cable Internet.

I loaded the following onto the Newton (which came to
me without the original internet programs:
NIE LocalTalk Module
NIE Modem and Serial
Nie Ethernat Module
Newton Internet
Newton Devices
Proxim (driver) (don't know if this is redundant with
the Wavelan driver)
802.11b WaveLan (Hiroshi's driver)
Internet Setup
ISP templates
Net Hopper
Net Hopper Scheduler
Allen's Note2Net (I can't remember from where or why I
loaded this)

First I selected Internet Setup from the extras
drawer. Tapped on "new" setup. Selected "generic
setup". Selected "connect using" ethernet. Continue.
Setup name "Skyline Newton". Configuration "DHCP
Server". Card "Farallon Skyline 11Mbps. Domain Name
left blank.

When I plug in the Skyline Card It is recognized and I
ge a window with
     "Farallon Skyline 11Mbps
      Manufacturer: INTERSIL
      Version 01.02"
Also displays a with with "Use this card for
Appletalk" option. Also displays a "setup" option
box.

Now in setup usaing a base station I believe a Default
to Infrastructure Mode. The channel is on 1 but in
parathesies after the number is "ignored" and I can't
get a channel selection list when I tap on the
appropriate area. **problem#1**

I read that WEP might not be an option for the
Newton/Farallon card combo but for the sake of
argument I did enter the correct Airport basestation
name under SSID, "string" option under WEP key,
checked the box "use WEP" and entered the correct
basestation password on the blank line under WEP
options.

So it seemed to easy, but I thought that was it and
then I went to Nethopper. I tapped "home" icon (which
I previously set to "http://www.yahoo.com". The
connet slip came up:

Paul Miller

       Using Syline Newton
       card FArallon Skyline 11Mps

                        [connect] [X]

...and so I tapped connect....

and...

internet connect window came up with:

" Initializing

then almost immediately

" Connecting

then about 30sec later:

"NetHopper
 error:-60088"

OH MY!!!! HELP ME I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

PS: lest you think that it's all because I haven't
turned off wep...well you may be onto something, but
For some reason I can't turn get into the airport
config mode via osx 10.1.5 from my ibook for some
reason and I hesitate to push the reset button on the
airport to bypass the password protection for fear
that EVERYTHING MAY STOP!!!!

Thanks again.