Re: [NTLK] ? Flash memory card utility/te.

From: Randy & Cheyanne (charan_at_centurytel.net)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 11:16:33 EST

On Monday, Jan 13, 2003, at 05:43 US/Central, Woo Lee wrote:
> Usually hardware errors are (positive numbers). Cards that I've seen
> go
> bad usually give (-10606) and (-10607) errors. Best suggestion is to
> download a pkg., disconnect and freeze, then continue to download, some
> pkgs. need to do a soft reset before using. Sounds like conflicts
> causing
> problems. Do backup of card, erase card, restore. HTH!
> ------------------
>> Newts,Well dammit, I think my nice big 32MB flash is dying. I have
>> had a
>> lot of -48xxx errors lately and freezes. Is there a card testing
> ------------------
Thanks Woo,

        I ended up erasing the card. It was looking for stuff that wasn't
there. What I discovered was that some programs want their preferences
on the card the program is on and others do not care so much. I did a
slow reinstall and moved stuff around a program at a time looking for
problems. I found that NewtWorks and SimpleMail are especially touchy
about where their pieces go. Just for safety's sake, I bought a couple
of those 16MB cards that were on eBay last week and backed up the
freshly formatted and reloaded 32MB card. Of course, after dedicating
most of a day to it and spending some money, nothing has gone wrong
since. I cured it with sympathetic magic :-).

newtly,

Randy

--
I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use.

Galileo