Re: [NTLK] looking for PC card wallets

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 17:36:58 EST

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:50:09 -0500, "Dan" <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am looking for some PC card wallets. Basically something that will hold
> the cards when not in the newton. I would like something that holds the
> cards like most cases do. I often use a case that does not have additional
> stoarge and I want my cards to be protected when not in use. Any ideas
> where I could find something like this?

Good luck with this. They're generally made from unobtanium. Even single-card plastic cases [rigid or vinyl] are hard to come by. I've bought a few of these from ebay and kept all of the ones that came with my cards.

One of the office-supplies companies [A-something?] made one that would hold a type-3 card in it -- great case, tupperware-like plastic outside, springy rubbery structure inside to hold the drive. I have one that's holding a precious 105Mb drive in it. I scored it off of ebay some time ago. [googling found shapenet.com selling something amazingly like it for two bucks a pop along with other card-storage thingies]

Other things I've seen include padded leatherette cases, usually with velcro closures. One of these came with a [new] Callunacard [type3 drive], and I bought two at the local surplus store.

A search of "pc card wallet" on Google shows up a few results and one manufacturer in free China [Taiwan].

Googling for "pc card case" gives one better results including one company that seems to make the Al-armored case that comes with Clik! cards. microtechint.com ... their retailers here in the USA are all camera dealers save for CompUSA. If you don't have someone you trust, bhphotovideo.com is the outfit I [and many other netters] recommend, even if they are in NYC. The magic phrase they use is "protective carry case for pc card" - in-stock, $18.95. I don't have any relationship [other than being a satisfied customer] with them, blah blah blah. If you still feel uncomfortable dealing with a New York Camera Store, calumetphoto.com is the other net.approved source.

Note that a PCMCIA card is approximately the same size as a business card. A business card holder may be able to encase your cards.

Another possibility: Google for "rex case options" and click "I'm feeling lucky" -- lots of great links to be found there.

Oh. I see you asked about this very same issue last July, Dan. Hope this helps.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html