Re: [NTLK] LAN printing...

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 05:58:59 EST

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 01:37 :-), Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> You get an EtherTalk to LocalTalk bridge, Farallon used to make those.
> I =
> had=20
> one which worked well, until I plugged the wronger power adaptor into
> it =
> and=20
> it went up in smoke.
This is not what he is looking for... He asked about a printer with
ethernet and serial routing TCP/IP to the serial interface.

> The Original LaserWriters could connect to LocalTalk (AppleTalk over
> seri=
> al,=20
> 230 kbit/sec) cables. That was in the days of the Apple Mac II and the
> li=
> kes.
Actually, beginning in the days of the mac XL and the 512k...

> However, you can not connect to the printer as 'serial'. Although it
> conn=
> ects=20
> using the same port on the Mac/Newton, the protocol is totally
> different.
In general this is wrong... These printers DO support a serial
connection from any standard RS232/RS422 port(usually a rotary switch
of some kind to tell printer to expect serial input)...

However, if you mean the Newton driver for these postscript printers
doesn't support a plain old serial connection, I think that's true.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html