[NTLK] Help: A Mostly Dead 2000

From: John Del Pizzo (jrd_at_delcannsoftware.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 13:44:32 EST

So I bought a "dead" MP 2000 on eBay. The case and screen are in excellent
condition... so I'm tempted to try to revive it. As we all know, mostly-dead
is not the same as all dead (ref. the Princes Bride)

When plugged in, the unit will not power up at all. It's dead-dead.

When run on batteries, it will momentarily power up. It gets about half way
through the restart chimes and briefly shows the restart screen (black
screen, Newton Logo, System version, etc) before shutting down.

With the battery pack, I was able to do a hard reset... but the MessagePad
still won't progress beyond half of the start up chimes.

Anyone have any suggestions of what could be the problem before I rip this
unit apart?

Thanks,

John

---