Re: [NTLK] more 802.11 questions...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 22:58:09 EST

on 06/01/03 22:43, Ed Dyer at edyer_at_allcovered.com wrote:

> OK, so the archive is indeed useful. I found out I needed not only
> this stuff but also NIE 2.0 and a soft reset.
>
> So, I've got the card recognized, setup using appletalk, put in the
> SSID, and no WEP for now. I've set up internet setup 2.0 for DHCP on a
> generic connection using the WaveLAN IEE card, etc.
>
> But no light on the card. At least it only turned on for 5 seconds or
> so during as soon as its inserted, but none after that.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Ed Dyer

Make sure you also create or modify an existing work site that will contain
the Wavelan settings. I know you can enter them directly in the setup from
the dialog that shows up when you insert my card, but I've read on the
author's page and it was also my experience that, for some obscur reason,
the settings don't always stick. Using a worksite that uses your internet
setup is the best way to go. If the card still doesn't work, then you're
missing a package from NIE or some other package, or your settings are
wrong. What did you try to check if the card was working?

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.