Re: [NTLK] ExpensePlus Demo Status?

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 14:56:13 EST

The demo is limited by both the number of expenses you can enter and
the number of reports you can create (I think two is the limit).
Although you can't get to the Newton page from their home page, you
can still get to there using http://www.walletware.com/newton/

I use Out Of Pocket (http://www.northisup.com) and am happy with it,
however, now that my company decided to change the format of our
expense report, I'm kinda hosed, since I paid the guy at True North to
develop a custom expense report for me. That way, I could enter my
expenses, and when I printed, out came the company's custom expense
report, all filled in. Sweet. So now, I'm sort of in the same situation
you're in, and I have to decide whether to pay for the development of
the new expense report, or try something else. As I see it, the only
other option (until today's note about PelicanWare going bye-bye) was
to use QuickFigure Pro.

The problems with the crop of expense report programs out there are as
follows:
- Out of Pocket (True North): You need to pay for a customized expense
report (if you need one - it does come with some basic bult-in ones),
and there is no option to e-mail the expense report - you can only
print or fax. Which is fine, unless your company demands a softcopy be
sent for accounting purposes, damn them.
- Expense Plus (Walletware): This one comes with an export program that
allows you to send the expenses to your Mac/PC. The problem is it's so
old it only works with older versions of Excel (98), not Office 2000 or
Office V.x for OS X) for the Mac, and the same for PC (Office 98, not
2000 or XP).

So in these days of Mac OS X and Win2K/XP, the offerings are bleak. By
the way, both the above companies will gladly SELL you the software,
but at least in the case of Walletware, they will NOT support it. Boy,
if there's a Newton developer out there who wants to make a loot, it
seems this is a void that needs filling. Sorry for the long-winded
response, but I've been rather frustrated with what's available, and
wanted to share my experiences and search results.

- Dave

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html