Re: [NTLK] [OT] 2.5" Disk Drives

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 14:35:59 EST

>On 1/5/03 @ 3:13 AM, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
>
>I have a PowerBook Hard Drive (2.5", 12 GB, IBM Travelstar)
>which is making an awful lot of whining noise. It's otherwise
>working ok, the noise level is just extremely annoying,
>specially when everything else around you is pretty quiet.
>Is these anything I can do to stop that noise?

None that I know of.

However, based on your description, you may have some serious problems
brewing.

Is your HD louder now than it was when it was new? Or have you recently
noticed a change in the intensity (loudness) or frequency (pitch)?

If so, I would suggest that you immediately backup your data, and plan on
getting a new HD. I've had about a dozen drives fail this way.
Generally, as the bearing seizes, the intensity and frequency of the
whining will go up a bit until the final death throws. Then again, I've
had some fail with a simple clicking sound. They work until you stop
then, then they will not spin up again.

I would say that if is the same level as before, and just annoying, then
the drive is probably okay, but just a loud drive. I do not know of
anyway to make it more quiet, if this is the case.

Also, is there any grinding (buttons in a coffee can) sound? This is a
good indicator of worst things to come. Recently a 2.5 inch HD crashed
on me. I created am MP3 file of the sound that it makes. Let me know
off list and I will send it to you. It's about 500K.

Regardless of your situation, to be on the safe side, make sure that your
data is backed up, and continue to do so regularly. You never know when
a drive will crash...

Sushi

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html