Re: [NTLK] [ANN] DCL PrelimBinaries 1.0

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 13:39:04 PST

Il me semble que le 28/2/03 à 11:56 -0800, Steven Frank nous racontait:
>At this point, I can choose to install a package from the PowerBook
>side. There seems to either be a delay before the transfer starts, or
>it is waiting for some sort of event on the Newton side. I tried it a
>couple of times, and on both attempts, the Dock appeared to be sitting
>doing nothing for about 15 seconds or so. I tapped the Newton's screen
>just to see if it was alive, and the package began installing almost
>immediately after that. I don't know if it was my tap that got things
>going, or I just didn't wait long enough. But I had a similar
>experience both times.

Yes, this is normal but also surprised me at first. To be honest, we
used the subset of the protocol (pure package installation) but it
didn't work -- apparently we figured out, an hour before the release
date, that it couldn't work with the way Delivery is designed. So we
decided to switch to the full protocol (hence the fact that you see
the Dock window), but it seems to have some issues or whatever and at
least seems weirdly slow.

We'll improve that with further releases (and of course make other
sub-protocols available such as Keyboard, Package installation from
the Newton and later import/export/synchronization).

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/