[NTLK] Serendipitous Simple Pleasures on Newton design

From: Brian Braunschweiger (brianbraun_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 08:18:51 PST

I have had a Newton 2100 about 6 months now and still use it mostly
as an occasional note taker but not for much else. Mostly I have been
slowly betting up to speed on hardware and software. Partly because I
didn't have the manual for awhile (I do now in PDF) but don't read it
and partly because it is a bit bulky just for notes.

I have some other comments and questions I will post separately but
in using the Newton I've had some "Wow" moments.

The first came after I finally got a battery and started using it.
Mine has a cover but it often got in the way of ease of use. One day
the cover got folded back and low and behold it locked into place on
the bottom of the Newton! Now I could choose to have it hanging or
locked in place.

The second Aha moment came with the stylus. I have been using a
plastic eMate type of stylus and am basically happy with it. I
usually just slid it loose into the holder but one day it somehow got
pushed al the way in. I was trying to figure out how to get it out
and happened to push on it and it popped up just enough to grab it.
Not a bug - a feature!

I am sure this is all old hat to most of you but it was pretty neat
to discover those things.

Brian

--
Brian Braunschweiger
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million type-