Re: [NTLK] About Nitro and NewTen

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 08:25:12 PST

Il me semble que le 26/2/03 ā 18:13 +0200, Eckhart Köppen nous racontait:
> > I think you would need to patch the dock package to use the IrDA port
> > through serial, and then use a virtual IRCOMM port on the PC/Mac.
>
>Yes, that might work indeed. But two things make this difficult:
>patching the Dock application is not that easy (it's in ROM), and I'm
>not sure how the MNP compression play with all this.

Well, we can have dock extensions such as Serial57600 you mention
later, Thomas Tempelmann's TCP/IP module, Apple's Serial 9600/4800
modules, etc.

>As far as I see, the default serial Dock connection is using MNP
>compression, and the MNP compression is implemented on top of the
>regular serial connection. So if you would simply replace this with
>the IrCOMM layer, the deskop side would get confused because the
>data is not MNP compressed anymore. But if you'd then disable MNP in
>NewTen/UnixNPI, it might work.

FYI, MNP compression increase the size of the data transfered but
adds checksums.

>Patching can probably be avoided by modifying the Serial57600.pkg which
>is part of UnixNPI to use not the mnps service, but the ircm service.

Indeed. We do have the source code of Serial57600.pkg. And even if we
didn't, such a dock extension is pretty simple.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/