Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages from OS X

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 21:34:50 PST

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 03:23 PM, Michael Sciascia wrote:
> I get an error about Apple Talk, even if I can correctly connect to
> another Mac and the internet via airport.....

One of the tricks here is to understand that OS X and Classic have
COMPLETELY SEPARATE APPLETALK PREFERENCES. Because of this, you have to
use the AppleTalk Control Panel in Classic to set Classic's AppleTalk
options. You might also need to enable AppleTalk in the Chooser.

> If I try to install it it just hangs after I accepted the licence...

You might try disabling a number of Extensions in Classic and see if
that makes the installer work any better.

Question for the List: Perhaps someone could create a new NCU installer
that would work better?

>> You might look to other options, if you have NIE installed and a web
>> browser or an e-mail pkg.
>
> Do you believe I could send them via email?

Yes, you can *but* you must have NIE and a mail program already
installed.

> Which email program should I use on the Newton?
> I often read about simple mail, is this one the best one?

I use the 'Enroute' software that came with my 2000.

...Ross...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html