Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 06:51:38 PST

On Saturday 22 February 2003 03:43, David Holmes wrote:
> Karel Jansens wrote:
> > I use 115200 bps transfers. AFAIK it's only available for unixnpi on
> > LGX (linux), although it might work on OSX command line as well.
> >
> > And no, my desktop has no problems whatsoever coping with such a fast
> > Newt.
> >
> > :)
>
> Excellent. Did you have any trouble finding the right
> settings for the port or did it pretty much just work?

I'm mostly working from memory here, so apologies for any unintended
slipups.

You have to install a package on the Newton, IIRC it's called
"ser115200.pkg" (there is even a "ser230400.pkg", but I've never tried
that speed.

Next step is editing the .unixnpi.rc file (which you should have copied to
your /home directory at installation, as the readme file says) and change
the line "speed=xxxxxx" to the appropriate speed.

You also need to set up a port, but that can easily be done by creating a
symbolic link /dev/newton, pointing to /dev/ttySx (whatever the serial
port is you hook your Newton on).

Come to think of it, I don't really know why I've never tried the 230400
bps speed. I'll give it a go next time I hook up my newt to the box.

--
Jazz.
NEW SIG-LINE EXPECTED REAL SOON!!!!!!