Re: [NTLK] NCU (PC laptop) -> USB -> Serial

From: Steve Vander Ark (vderark_at_bccs.org)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 12:03:38 PST

>=20
> Question: If I get a USB to Serial converter can I use this=20
> to establish a serial connection with the Newton? I know the=20
> theory, I'm asking after anyone who has practical experience.

I've never been able to make this work. I bought a Targus USB device =
which
duplicates a serial port, a printer port, and adds several USB ports. =
Every
time I try to hook up the Newton, the computer crashes spectacularaly. =
In
fact, using that device is the only time I've been able to crash WinXP. =
have the current set of XP drivers for the device, I have been in =
contact
with the company, but to no avail. I'm not sure what the problem is and
neither are the people at Targus (and they've been VERY helpful in =
trying to
work this out). If another brand of USB =3D> serial device would be =
workable,
I'd like to hear about it (and so would the people at Targus, I think).

My home computer runs WinXP as well and actually has a serial port, but =
it
refuses to communicate properly with the Newton. I've tried the Slowdown
program folks talk about and tried running several of them at once, but
still nothing. Windows support for the Newton was never up to the =
quality of
Mac support anyway, and now that old technology is just becoming =
unusable as
Windows advances.

The end result is that I have to use an old PowerPC Mac at work to back =
up
my Newton and to load packages. It's not very convenient and it's not
online, but since I don't have to do a lot of backing up or loading =
packages
any more, it's okay. After all, I pretty much have everything loaded on =
my
two 16 meg cards that I could ever want (boy is THAT ever cool!) and one
backup every couple of weeks is fine. And since the Mac reads my PC =
disks
just fine, I can download packages using my laptop and move them over to =
the
Mac easily.

Steve

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html