Re: [NTLK] Novatel Wireless Merlin C201

From: David Deranian (deranian_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 14:06:38 PST

I have a Merlin C201 working just fine with my Mac TiBook. Sprint
doesn't really support it, but somebody out there wrote a 3rd party
driver for it so that it works with OS X (10.2.4) just fine. I would
love to see it working on my Newton too! I wonder if there's anyone out
there that would be willing to attempt writing a Newton driver for it.
Sprint provides a good reliable service, and I had no problems
whatsoever using it in a moving car going 80mph down I-95 this past
December while my wife drove. No drops of communication, and pretty
fast, around 70bps. In the right location, it can reach 100bps. Faster
than a dialup in most cases.

The card is reasonably priced, and while it's not as fast as the
Ricochet service, it's available now, has great coverage all over the
USA and would be plenty fast enough for the Newton.

One last comment. I've been a Newton user and enthusiast since day one.
I bought the OMP at the MacWorld show in Boston the year they were
introduced and have owned every Newton since, including the 2100 I'm
using today. Part of Apple's promise back then was to ensure the future
of REAL mobile computing and communications. To my way of thinking,
making the Newton compatible with this kind of wireless card (the
Merlin C201) would be a giant step forward ensuring that we can
continue to use these obviously superior machines for years to come.
And perhaps most importantly, show Apple how this community of of
entrepreneurs has managed to push the Newton philosophy well into the
future. The Newton was designed to be the best, truly portable solution
out there, capable of providing nearly all the tools you'd every need
or want in something the size of a paperback book. This community
should continue to finish what Apple never did-- make Newton the
wireless computer experience it was intended to be. (Beyond wireless
LANS) Who knows, maybe we'll get Apple's attention someday!

Warm Regards,
-David

--
David Deranian