Re: [NTLK] Finding the mac address for an ethernet card on the Newton?

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 06:38:06 PST

> Walter Remson wrote:
>
> The best way to obtain your MAC ("Hardware Address") from your 3COM
> card is
> to install it again in your PB 1400 and click on the icon that
> shows-up on
> your desktop. Next make sure that AppleTalk is active and that you are
> using the card is active. After clicking on the icon for the 3COM a
> window
> with the information about the card will appear on the desktop. Click
> of
> the "INFO" and the next window you see a list of number for the
> Hardware
> Address this will be your MAC address for the card you are using. I
> have
> confirmed this with a WIFI card with a know MAC address (printed on the
> back) and same address appeared in this window. I hope this helps :-)

I accidentally discovered an odd exception to the above way of finding
the MAC address that I will pass on, in case it is useful to others.

We have two desktop and two laptops configured to use our router. The
desktops are connected via wired ethernet cables. The laptops via
wireless PCMCIA cards. In an effort to improve security via the
wireless connections, I set the router up to only allow our two
specific laptops to have access. The router identifies the laptops by
their MAC address, which matches the address printed on the back of the
cards.

Our router is set to "Exclude all wireless connections except for those
listed." I then had to list the two laptops by their MAC hardware
address.

When I wanted to add my Newton to the router, I used a Proxim Skyline
card for connection. I had been using that same Proxim card in one of
the laptops. The router assigned the Proxim card, when used in the
Newton, a new/different MAC address number. I had to add the new MAC
hardware address to the Router before the Newton could connect.

I can put the Proxim card in either the laptop or the Newton and either
one connects without any problems.

I just found it odd (interesting?) that the router recognized that the
card was the same but the machines were different, and assigned a new
MAC number to the Newton.

> BTW, I recently posted a very easy way to connect your Newton to a
> Laptop
> or Desktop Mac using two wireless cards. But I did not see any reponses
> from anyone on the list. I thought this was a good idea based on all
> talk
> about connecting via IRDA.

Walter I am new to the list. I would love to read your post. Would
you mind sending it to me off list?

Nancy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html