Re: [NTLK] Names Application Help Needed

From: DDenby_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 08:38:48 PST

In a message dated 2003/02/14 12:37:47 PM, jonglass_at_usa.net writes:

><<on 2/14/03 5:42 PM, DDenby_at_aol.com at DDenby_at_aol.com wrote:
>
>> It is definitely the NOS system that has become corrupt. I took the card to
>> another Newton and the soup data was fine and everything worked fine -- new
>> and filing systems. So the question is, how to reinstall the NOS 2.1? As I
>> recall, everytime I have done a complete brainwipe in the past, the NOS was
>> not affected.
>
>There are still a couple of other options for where your problems are coming
>from.
>
>1. Are you sure that _all_ your names data is on the card? Open up Extras,
>tap on the Storage folder, and then tap on the names safe. The resulting
>window will tell you how many items are on the card and how many are
>internal. If you want to really see if you have a corrupt entry, and don't
>care where your names are, try to file everything on the card. If you get an
>error, then you know that your soup on your internal store is corrupt.

I have moved the card to another Newton, everthing was there and I was able
to refile and create new entries with no problem. Deleted all names info
using Extras. Created new entry. Attempted to file it. Result: Error -48019.
Recreated Personal Info. Errors appeared to have disappeared. Hooray!

>2. It is possible that you have another extension (autopart) or application
>that is causing problems with your names, or even conflicting with another
>app when you open your names. As a general rule, if you have two items that
>effect the same data, you will be bound to have troubles. For instance, it's
>not a good idea to have both More Info and DateMan active on your Newt at
>the same time. :-)

It is more likely a result of my not leaving enough free memory. I had
reduced it to about 64K. Obviously, insufficient.

>These two areas are where I would suggest looking.
>
>BTW, you have tried resetting your Newt (soft reset) and kept packages from
>--

Oh Yes, Several times. It seems that wiping the total names file has done the
trick. Oh how I hated to do that.

>-Jon Glass
>Krakow, Poland
><mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>