Re: [NTLK] a provocation...

From: Hans Derycke (hans_at_derycke.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 20:00:59 PST

--- John Del Pizzo <jrd_at_delcannsoftware.com> wrote:
>I think it's a reasonably fair assessment. One of the reasons the Palm
>succeeded was that it did a few things - which people understood - well.
>Conceptually, it was easy to grasp... it was an electronic day timer that
>gave users access to crucial information that was normally left on their
>desktop.

Let's not forget price.

I lusted after Newton. I wanted one, badly. Only, at $1,000, I couldn't justify the expenditure to myself, especially considering that a year's organizer refill cost less than $20. But when the Pilot(1) came out, I jumped on it: for something like $350, I bought a Pilot 5000, then their top-of-the-line model.

In my case, it wasn't that I better understood what a Pilot could do, and I didn't understand the Newton. It was simply that the price was wrong.

(1) It was called the US Robotics Pilot 5000, back then.

Hans Derycke

--
E pur si muove
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html