Re: [NTLK] Jaggies

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 09:20:49 PST

>> If jaggies are being caused by pressure from the case on
>> the right edge of the screen, touching the right-hand side
>> would move the ink to the RIGHT, not the left.

>Why??

(Based on the 'case touching the screen' philosophy) laying my right hand on
the right edge of the case simulates a stylus tip touching the screen
further to the left of the actual stylus point:

Touch the stylus to the screen here (.)

     left screen edge | . | right screen edge

The stylus tip is this big (.)

Then place my hand on the right edge (x)

     left screen edge | . |x right screen edge

The stylus tip is now this big (. x) with its center touching the screen.
Unless my model needs some work...

>And, as a matter of fact, it doesn't. In all cases I have seen it moves the
ink
>to the left and slightly down (if the Newton is in portrait mode, battery
>compartment pointing towards you).

I agree--that's been my experience too.

Common sense tells me that touching the stylus to the screen means putting
pressure where the stylus tip is. Laying my hand on the right edge of the
case should fool the Newton into thinking the stylus tip had shifted further
to the right, not to the left. It doesn't make sense.

Doug

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html