Re: [NTLK] LocalTalk <=> EtherNet

From: Brian Mayton (bmayton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 22:07:16 PST

>>> Does anyone know where i can find a LocalTalk to EtherNet converter
>>> switchy thing? Cheaply i mean.. Its not like i NEEEED to go on the
>>> internet with my emate... =)

If you want to get on the internet, you're going to need something that
bridges TCP/IP to MacIP on the LocalTalk network. Most of the
inexpensive converters you'll find will be AppleTalk only, which is
sufficient for network printing and docking, but won't work for
Internet/Email.

I have an old, old Apple software package called Apple Internet Router
or something like that that will do the bridging to MacIP. It's pretty
old, though, and requires a System 7.0 machine (won't work with
anything higher than that) with both Ethernet and LocalTalk plugged
into it. I run it on an old PowerBook 165 to bridge my network. If
you're interested, let me know and I'll email you disk images.

However, you might just be better off getting an Ethernet PCMCIA card
for the eMate.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html