Re: [NTLK] New Newton Bowels Project documents

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 20:46:19 PST

on 09/02/2003 10:05 PM, Brian Parker at bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com wrote:

[snip]
> "Getting the Pen's Position" shows a low level way to get the absolute
> position of the stylus. It uses an undocumented function and can be
> called from NewtonScript or C++.

Hmmm... could this function somehow be used to make a software cure for the
strange phenomenon of "Mike's Newts"?

Some may remember about a year ago, a bunch of folks on this list bought
some cheap 2100s that had reputedly been sitting in a hot closet in Florida
for a while. For whatever reason, this batch of Newts all exhibit a
persistent pen misalignment, usually near one edge. On mine it's the bottom
edge in portrait mode. It can't be corrected with the "Align Pen" thingy,
and nobody was able (AFAIK) to fix it with any amount of brainwiping,
disassembly, cleaning, etc. The misalignment is smoothly progressive as you
approach the problem edge, it is completely stable and there are no jaggies
or any other misbehaviour. So I'm thinking maybe it would lend itself to
some kind of software solution that could map the misalignment and then
compensate for it on the fly?

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html