Re: [NTLK] Question about the UNNA web site

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 05:53:19 PST

on 2/10/03 9:03 AM, Luiz Petroni at lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br wrote:

> It works for me with/without the packtype app. The only difference is that
> with packtype a custom icon is app to the package.
>
> --lpetroni
>
>> From: Suannp_at_aol.com
>
>> I did download NCU and and it seems to be working fine. If I'm running OS
>> 9.0.4, do I really need to use Packtype. I'll wait to hear before I download
>> anything else.
>>
>> Thanks, Su

Actually, PackType does more than add a custom icon. It's true purpose is
to fix Type/Creator info that may have gotten stripped from the file during
the process of transfer, as sometimes happens. If you download a package
and NCU fails to recognize it, but you know the download wasn't interrupted,
you probably need to drop the package onto PackType to fix this problem.
After you use PackType on the package, it should be recognized by NCU.

(The fact that the typical package icon appears is due to the file now
having the proper Type/Creator info, thus allowing the Finder to know what
icon and application to associate with the file.)

- Eric.

You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make him think...
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html