Re: [NTLK] Poor, Ailing Newt 130 (long)

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 18:14:16 PST

> I wonder if anybody knows what "part" of the Newt controls the date &
> time? Like, the ROM or the main board or...????

It is on the main logic board. It is a silvery cylindrical crystal,
labeled X1. Has about the diameter of a thick match. Close to it is what
I would expect to be an adjustable capacitor that allows to control the
clock's accuracy, labeled C28. The crystal looks like one of those standard
32.768 kHz crystals commonly used for clocks. I wouldn't be astonished
if one of the IC's close to those two fellows was a clock chip.
Both components are on the side that faces the display, in other words,
you will have to remove the main logic board to see them.
If you want to take your 130 apart, have a look here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html

If you can't fix it, let me know.

Good luck

Frank