Re: [NTLK] Direct VNC?

From: Jonathan Wise for NewtonTalk (newtontalk_at_jonandnic.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 06:53:29 PST

Not that this answers your question at all, but I thought someone might find it useful. You can do it quite easily with Windows 2000 Professional or Server and Windows XP -- as long as you're not on, or controlling a domain (if you are, good luck to you -- it can be done, but I couldn't make it work)
The long and short of it:
- Create a new modem of type "Direct Cable Connection" using one of your serial ports (note: this holds the port, so don't use a port that you use for something else)
- Create a new connection of type "Direct Connection to Another Computer"
- Specify the modem as your Direct Cable Connection, and allow directly connected devices to connect without authenticating.

Now when you connect, it makes a PPP connection as if you'd dialed-in. Work as if that's the case on your Newt, and you should be up and running...

JW

Hopefully everyone can read this message. For the record, my last one said something about how excited I was that my new Newt with Keyboard is in the mail. It's a 2000 and I got it *cheap* on eBay from some guy who didn't know what he had.