Re: [NTLK] OS X package load via EtherNet

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 10:03:54 PST

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 08:08:38AM -0800, Larrie Easterly wrote:
> I looked at the package installer at anrp.irulethe.net/newton/ but I
> find still myself in the chicken or egg situation. Will probably
> reincarnate my mother-in-laws PB 540 and use that to load packages.

Fine idea. I've got a PB5300cs sitting on a shelf next to my networking
gear plugged in and on, with full battery save feature turned on except
for it never sleeps. It runs just NCU, and I invoke backups from the
newt about weekly. If I need to do anything else, I open the cover on
the Powerbook, and turn on the screen light and it's ready to go. Once I
got Net Hopper functional on the Newt, I just told Apache on another
machine to magic up .pkg files that it sends and now I just toss the
packages into a temporary folder where Apache can get to them, and
install packages that way. Works very well.

--
86. I will make sure that my doomsday device is up to code and properly
    grounded.