[NTLK] How to do a Newton Ad campaign today RIGHT..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 22:01:58 PST

Hi,

   I may be beating a dead horse here (well, of *course* I'm beating the
poor horse, I'm just wondering if I'm aiming at a spot that hasn't been
aimed at before on this list.. Uugh. I'll just stop now with the
much-over-stretched analogy.. It's getting much too macabre!)

   If some group (oh, say we found out we had a few kinda-crazy
billionaires in our midst) wanted to advertise the Newton today, what
would you change about the way the campaign was done? I was just
looking at a couple of the promo shots and wondered (I suppose in a bit
of a reverse-rascist way [forget I said that before I get a big foot
caught in my mouth!]) "Where are the Asians?" Arguably the Newton
would have succeeded if Apple had made a stripped-down verison,
feature-wise and size-wise and sold it for $250-$300 (like the Palm is
today). They didn't, but there a bit of a gap between Palm/PocketPC
and even subnotebooks in functionality and ease-of-use (respectively? -
no functionality in palm, no ease-of-use in pocketPC?)

   Assume that the Newton were being marketed today in the same form
factor as before, and the ONLY thing that was different about the
Newton were increases in component quality (battery life, screen
quality, processor speed) were if it were a bit lighter (made possible
by better components, perhaps even an OLED display), had better
connectivity (software-wise, and physical-wise - no silly dongle, audio
in/out ports as an option), and perhaps a voice recognition app
(meaning it would either have a very good algorithm, or more memory).
How would we do the ads differently, in terms of what to show people
about the Newton, as well as the demographics of them (the
above-mentioned question)?

Jim

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html