Re: [NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 11:29:25 PST

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:17:17PM -0500, PaulMmn wrote:
> I think that the reason the Newton grabs hold of us so well is that
> the Newton is a complete computer-- not a note pad, not a calendar,
> not a clock, but a complete computer. What other handhelds can
> handle all of the things the Newton can-- wireless, ethernet, modems,
> web serving, reading email, audio, video, etc. etc. etc.

One other bit that's very important to me is that I've never lost a
scrap of data with the newt. Even when something got hosed up enough to
require a brain wipe, it was always possible to back off the data first.
EXTREMELY reliable data storage is very attractive. I've heard so many
stories of "My Palm crashed and I lost everything since last sync..."

--
39. If I absolutely must ride into battle, I will certainly not ride at the
    forefront of my Legions of Terror, nor will I seek out my opposite number