Re: [NTLK] Reset question

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 09:40:37 PST

Jon Glass wrote:
> I've done hundreds of simple resets with cards in,
> from a 120 right on up to a 2100, and never
> experienced a single problem.
   Ditto. I've never removed cards to do a soft reset. And I've never had a problem. For a hard reset, I always revove the cards.

From the MP2000 manual:
Resetting the MessagePad
Resetting your MessagePad can resolve some problems. You can try three different
types of reset: a software reset, a hardware reset, and a system reset. Be sure to try
these resets in the order presented to limit the risk of losing data.
m Software reset: Press and hold down the Reset button (on the back of the
MessagePad) for two seconds. This procedure does not erase the information that
you have stored in your MessagePad and may solve many problems.
m Hardware reset: Press and hold down the Reset button (on the back of the
MessagePad) for twenty seconds. When you perform a hardware reset, you risk
losing the last information most recently entered on your MessagePad.
m System reset: Remove the batteries from your MessagePad and leave them out for
at least twenty minutes. When you perform a system reset, you risk losing some
information entered on your MessagePad, and will need to reset your clock and
calendar information.
Check the time in the Date and Time preferences whenever you press Reset. (The
MessagePad’s clock may lose some time when you press Reset.)
Hard reset
If you’ve tried the software, hardware, and system resets and your MessagePad still
doesn’t work properly, call 1-800-SOS-APPL to find out if there’s anything else you can
do. If not, you can try a hard reset.
s Warning A hard reset erases all data and information in the MessagePad’s internal
memory. This includes any applications that were already on your MessagePad when
you bought it (including the Newton Tour and HW Instructor). It also erases
information you have stored, such as name cards, notes, calls, and pages in the Date
Book. This procedure does not remove the MessagePad’s built-in programs,
operating system software, or system updates.

To do a hard reset:
1 Remove any storage or application cards that are inserted in the MessagePad.
2 Press and hold down the Reset button and then press and hold down the Power
switch.
3 Hold down the Reset button for two seconds, then release it while continuing to hold
down the Power switch. Continue holding down the Power switch until a message
appears asking if you want to erase your data completely.
4 Tap Yes.
Another slip appears telling you that all of the data will be erased.
5 Tap OK.
All the information (including any packages you loaded and other applications that
are not built in) is erased and your MessagePad reverts to the defaults set at the
factory. This procedure may take several minutes.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html