[NTLK] eMate battery recharging...

From: spam_at_fenestrated.net
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 02:15:35 PST

After running my eMate on alkaline batteries fora while (by taping
them together with black electrical tape and taping the wires from the
battery harness to the appropriate places :-) ), I've finally gotten
a 7.5v power supply. It supplies 750mA, which is apparently not enough
to get the eMate to boot-the "lightbulb" screen appears and then
disappears in just a wink. The "charging" light appears green, then
amber after a few seconds when I plug it in to the eMate. I'm using a
pack that I know is good--it's some new 2000mAH NiMHs I put together
just like the alkalines, except that I installed the thermistor, too,
this time. My problem is that the battery won't charge.

My batteries aren't well-charged, and my pack only shows about 3V between
the leads. The thermistor is working (reads ~7KOhm, down to about 5 when I
hold it in my fingers) fine, and the emate boots (partially) with only
the wall adaptor, so everything SHOULD be OK to charge, but when I plug the
eMate into the wall, I never get a charging voltage across the battery, and
the battery doesn't charge. I read somewhere that a 10KOhm resistor will let
the eMate charge a battery but without the thermistor safety, so I tried
that instead of the thermistor, just in case, but still no charging.

Can anyone shed any light upon how to get the eMate to charge my pack?

Many thanks,
Tyler

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html