Re: [NTLK] Downloading with Courier

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 09:35:36 PST

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:10:41 -0600, Nathan Turnage wrote:
> I cannot, however,
> click links at
> <http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-z-h-5.html> .

Ok, this seems to be a bug I've seen before... I'll take a look at that
after the holidays. Thanks for the feedback though, this is really
useful for me!

> What else besides the programs listed above do I
> need to download?

Once I corrected the above bug, you should be able to download packages
from Ed's site with just Courier and IC/VC.

>Also is there a way to view pictures in Courier?

Not directly, but I hope that soon you'll be able to download images
into the Inbox and see them there.

> Also, i had a very bad scare yesterday, when i got another error -10061
> when trying to flip between pages in Courier.

I've seen this too and am looking into ways to fix this. It means that
the cached page data is corrupt... the only disturbing side effect I
have seen with this is that in any text view which uses protoTXView
(such as Works or the SimpleMail paper viewer) the text becomes
invisible, cured only by a reboot.

> I had Dashboard installed
> and everytime I would click on anything in the Dashboard (DB) I would
> get that error.

Did the '61 button in DB have any effect?

> I panicked, back up (twice), and trashed DB. Things seem
> to be working now.

The -10061 error caused by corrupt cached pages might very likely be
unrelated but still fixed by doing something with the packages (such as
trashing or freezing one package). The various -10061 patches out there
might help as well, altough I prefer the non-automatic ones.

If you feel uneasy about this, you can turn off caching in Courier for
now. Otherwise, the latest information regarding errors in Courier is
something like this: a -10061 error is not considered fatal and can be
cured by a reboot and maybe one of the '61 patches. Trashing the
"Courier Cache" soup in Extras/Storage is also a good idea.

Other errors in the -10xxx range are quite bad, if those occur, let me
know before trying to cure them yourself. Errors in other negative
ranges are not fatal, but I'd still be interested, maybe together with
some output from BugTrap or ways to reproduce them. Errors above zero
are not fatal either, but a reboot might be a good idea (many times,
they are errors in C++ code, and you never know what went wrong there).

Again, thanks for the bug reports! I hope to get some fixes done after
the holidays.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html