Re: [NTLK] [OT] Ed's Wired House

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 09:06:24 PST

You know, it's funny you should say that...probably
the only thing in my house that isn't wireless IS my
Newt! I never saw a practical reason for it.
And I seem to remember that there was something x-10
related that had been developed for the Newt...but
that was like...years ago...
Keep in mind though...if you're going to do this, it
ain't cheap!
All my wall recepticals have been replaced with x-10
plugs along with light switches. An average room can
cost up to $100 to equip! (maybe more if you add
anything fancy) so an average 3 bedroom house, with
kitchen, family room, living room, dining room 2
baths, laundry room...you're looking at a thousand
dollars just for the x-10 devices! and if you have a
basement...well, add another $500 just for that! (my
basement is my territory...everything is in there)
then you have to add the 802.11 stuff. Back when I
started, it was very expensive! But now this stuff is
cheaper than the x-10 stuff!
But, I tell you what...there is nothing like peace of
mind. The other day, I went to work and my wife called
to say that she thinks she left a space heater on in
the house. I logged onto my server and shut it off via
the x-10 wall plug. At any time, I can log onto my
house and see what is turned on and running. Plus I
have motion sensors in all the rooms so I can tell
what rooms are occupied. (the cameras only point to
the outside,,,sorry, no cameras in the house except
for the computer room, and that's on a custom made
gimble that I built from an old remote control toy
car.
I really should sit down one day and document this
stuff, but it kind of grew on it's own. I think I can
whip up some kind of diagram that shows basically what
is what...
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- "gmoody_at_gmx.net" <gmoody_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> I would like to see this too, since I am about to
> start the same thing in
> my house. Is there a Newton interface for the home
> automation software?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

=====
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown"
               -Darph Bobo, Tripping the Rift