Re: [NTLK] Newton Mentioned (Badly) in MacAddict

From: Michael Lye (mlye_at_ids.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 16:53:48 PST

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 12:58 PM, Michael J. Hußmann wrote:

> Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com) wrote:
>
>> The cracks were happening around the bolts on the top of the Cube.
>
> But exactly those "cracks" around the bolts were really molding lines
> (my
> Cube has those molding lines, but no cracks). I've never seen any
> evidence substantiating the claim of cracked Cube casings.

These weld lines (or knit lines) occur as the resin is injected into
the mold and flows around something (like the bolt holes or the slot
for the CD drive) and then the two melt fronts butt together. Both
optical and mechanical properties can change there and there can be
small hairline grooves or notches where the flow fronts meet. On the
Cube I had, there were no cracks but the weld lines were visible in the
right light. I think this is what most people were seeing. These weld
lines are weaker than the rest of the part so if it does crack it will
likely happen there. From what I read I think there were many people
complaining about weld lines rather than cracks but I haven't seen
enough Cubes to really know.

mtl

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html