[NTLK] Interesting discovery regarding Classic AppleTalk under Panther

From: Clinton Yelvington (cyelving_at_cbu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 11:47:02 PST

Hi all,

I (like several people on this board) have experienced numerous
problems getting the Newton to work with NCU under Panther's Classic
Environment and Ethernet, because AppleTalk seemingly doesn't want to
work over Ethernet. For some reason, the computer (in my case, a
TiBook) refuses to recognize something plugged into its ethernet jack.
However, I found out a workaround that will make it work. I enabled
AppleTalk on AirPort and plugged the Newt into the LAN Jack on my
dual-ethernet AirPort base station with a crossover cable, and the Newt
recognized the Mac and NCU! I was beyond amazed about this, and I
figured that I would share my discovery with the list so those of you
who also have problems might try it.

Cheers,
Clinton Yelvington
TiBook 667/Newton 2100/eMate 300/ numerous other Apples including an
Apple ///, a Mac 128k, and coming soon, a Lisa 2/5

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html