Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #642

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 04:49:59 PST

on 12/8/03 10:58 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Jon, and you were able to swap your MP 120 against the MP 100-style Siemens
> MP in the Notephone? But isn't the form factor quite different (e.g. pen
> slot on the right w/ slides into the modem, plus serial connectors on back
> for the cradle, etc.)?
> Imagine this concept powered with a MP 2xk - with phone answering
> machine functionality! Now THAT'd be cool.

There was a MP2k-style model made. I don't know if it ever came into
production or not. Wait, now that I think of it, it might have just been NOS
2.0 based. This model didn't use a Newton Messagepad, just the OS in its own
device. It was vastly cooler looking than the Notephone, btw. Google for it.
You will find it somewhere. In fact, it might be on Newted or some other
Newton history site...

As to the Notephone, all the connections were on the right, in the same
place as on my 120. If you look at the picture of the Notephone, you will
see some sort of sliding device on the far right of the phone. This is the
thing that slid into the right of the 110 that sat in the phone. The only
problem would be, as you suggested, the stylus, but one could leave that
out, or create a separate holder for it. But the power and serial plugs were
all there on the right at the bottom, just like my 120. The color and
contours were all off, but in my opinion, that didn't matter so much as long
as the phone would dial. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland